Saturday, November 19, 2011

Diane Keaton: She's Still Got It

I’m a huge Diane Keaton fan. So when I heard she was going to be interviewed by Jon Stewart this week, I made sure I tuned in. I was so happy to see that Keaton, 65, is still charming, smart and capable of radiating huge amounts of positive energy. She looked lovely with her mop of sandy hair, thick glasses, a high-neck sweater and long jacket. Not at all scary like some older, surgically-altered celebrities. ( I’d read she’s adamant about forgoing plastic surgery for herself, stating that she wants to look like a grandmother when she becomes one.) She was on the Daily Show to promote her new memoir, entitled Then Again. You can watch the interview below. Meanwhile, Keaton is popping up around the fashion scene as a Hollywood icon and a model for Chico's clothing.




In this month’s Elle magazine, Keaton, along with Streep and Close, kick off a list of Hollywood women who “are calling the shots.” I’ve been reading Elle since my 30s, but it’s only in the past year that I’ve noticed the editorial content featuring more and more over 50 women. Is that really true or am I just looking out for stories about women my age? The magazine notes that Keaton “has been elevating rom-coms for more than 30 years." In my mind, Keaton is like the old-time Hollywood actors—Carey Grant and Myna Loy—who play the same glorious characters in every film. My favorite Keaton films: Annie Hall, Reds, and Something’s Gotta Give. Unfortunately, there's no web link to the article; if you want to read more, you’ll have to get hold of the print version. If you do, be sure to check out the feature on Thelma Schoonmaker, 71. Schoonmaker has been editing Martin Scorsese’s feature films for 31 years.

Like most people our age, I first became aware of Keaton in Annie Hall. I had been wearing men-styled vests since junior high school (still do!), so I was ecstatic when Annie Hall made the look a fashion trend. I may be one of the few people who’ve always loved Keaton’s quirky style. I’m happy to see that she’s now modeling for Chico’s. Though she’s still a knock-out, it’s nice to see an older woman modeling current fashions. Check out her fashion video and still photos at the Chico's website.