Monday, January 17, 2011

Over 50 Women Rock 2011 Golden Globes

Did you watch the Golden Globe Awards last night? I did. I usually get sucked into watching all or part of the Globes and the Academy Awards, because I do love movies and am always curious to see who/what wins and what’s said. I know it’s silly, but I can live with a little silly now and then. And Golden Globes usually provide a good laugh or two. Interestingly, this year’s Golden Globes seemed to honor women, especially older women.

Specifically, the award for best original song in a movie was written by Diane Warren, age 54. The song, “You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me,” was song by 64-year-old Cher in Burlesque. And the Best Actress In a Motion Picture (Comedy or Musical) was given to Annette Bening, age 52, for her role in The Kids Are Alright. The movie, which starred Bening as well as 50-year-old Julianna Moore, was also awarded Best Motion Picture (Comedy or Musical). Katey Sagal, age 56, won Best Actress in a Television Drama for her role in the television show, Sons of Anarchy. Melissa Leo, age 50, took home the award for Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture for her performance in The Fighter. The award for Supporting Actress in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television was given to Jane Lynch, 50, for Glee. All these women were competing with women half their ages for the awards. Finally, Jane Fonda, age 73, was on hand to give an award. She looked absolutely stunning. I read an interview with her in which she admitted to getting plastic surgery recently. No surprise there. Anyway. Congratulations to all the over 50 winners!

Helen Mirren, age 65, and her movie Reds didn’t win any awards, but Helen was a presenter and received a fair share of camera time. She looked gorgeous as usual, though she’s cut her hair and no longer has her lovely bob. I appreciate the need for change and commend her for it. Although…I really loved her bob. Click on Golden Globe Winners for a slide show by the New York Times.

The evening’s big winning movie was Social Network—very deserving. If you haven’t seen this movie, you should. It’s extremely well made and since Facebook is to our children what, well, books were to past generations, I think the movie is important. My other two top favorite movies of 2010 were King’s Speech and The Kids Are Alright. In both movies, the acting was sublime, especially in King’s Speech. I was glad to see Colin Firth win Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama) for his portrayal of King George VI. I’m a huge CF fan and his acceptance speech was adorable. Take a look...



Since this is a fashion blog, I feel I ought to say a word or two about the gowns at the Golden Globe Awards. As usual, there were some really beautiful dresses as well as some “what were they thinking?” dresses. In my humble opinion, Jane Fonda topped the list of “Best Dressed Older Women.” I also thought Melissa Leo looked marvelous. Among the actresses over 40, Edie Falco, age 45, looked fabulous in her red gown as did Kyra Sedgwick, 44, in an orange gown with ruffles.

When The Kids Are Alright hit the movie theaters, I read a review by a male critic who couldn’t understand why a beautiful woman like Bening seemed determined to make herself unattractive. Silly man. Last night, she wore a long, form-fitting black sequined gown. It wasn’t my favorite gown, but I liked the juxtaposition of the glamorous sequins with her punky chopped hair and hipster eyeglasses. A beautiful older woman can pull off the choppy hair and hipster glasses. On the other hand, her co-star Julianna Moore wasn’t as successful with her gown. Every time the camera landed on Moore, I thought, “What was she thinking?” I’ve often wondered how the awards ceremony gown thing works. Does the actress sign a contract with a designer, gown unseen? That’s the only explanation I can think of for Moore’s gown. Click on Golden Globe Fashions to watch a slide show at the New York Times and judge for yourself.