Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Favorite Blogs For Older Women

Editor's note: This post was updated in November 2013. In the past two years or so, the number blogs for "women of a certain age" has exploded. I've edited this post to include my current favorites.

Is blogging the new sewing? I've been blogging for a little over a year now and it never ceases to amaze me how many other people are blogging. Has anyone seen statistics on where blogging ranks in terms of popular personal pastimes or hobbies? I'd love to know.

In the past year, I've stumbled upon lots of really cool blogs for older women. For this post, I'd like to share some of my favorites...

FAVORITE BLOGS
Chic at Any Age
Josephine reports about style and beauty from London and St. Tropez—lucky gal!


Fashion for Nerds
I’m always looking for new ways to style my old clothes. Fashion for Nerds has inspired this process with some great new looks.


Fifty, Not Frumpy
Susan is another attractive, former model over 50. She has worked in the fashion industry for many years and has a down-to-earth style that should appeal to lots of women over 50.


Gracefully Fifty
Take a look at Jeannie. I’ve been following her blog for a while now and I still can’t believe she’s 50. She looks great! I love LOVE her style and upbeat point of view!! Note: Jeannie is taking a break from blogging right now. But if you're  not familiar with her blog and excellent style sense, it's worth checking out her blog's archive. I hope she comes back to blogging soon!


Lady of Style
Annette is a fashion blogger from Bavaria. She brings a European sensibility to her style that is colorful and very feminine. And it's great fun to read about her life in Bavaria.


Not Dead Yet
I think it's obvious from the blog's name--"Not Dead Yet"--that blogger Patti has a great sense of humor. Patti writes thoughtful, helpful posts about life at our age. She's also the creator of "Visible Monday," a fun weekly activity that allows other bloggers to post photos of themselves making a fashion statement.


Over 50 Feeling 40
This is an upbeat blog about life after 50 with lots of useful fashion and beauty tips. Blogger Pam has incredible energy and it comes through in every post.


Privilege
Lisa writes mostly about fashion, sharing her great style. But she also tackles family, home, culture and life after 50 with grace and humor.


Silver Girl
Brett has a fun style and some spot-on observations about life at our age.


Spashionista
Talk about inspiration! This blog is written by a woman over 50 with cerebral palsy. Her goal is to help all women--with or without disabilities--to feel better about themselves.


That’s Not My Age
This blog covers topics like “Fashion for Grown Ups” and “Beauty at Any Age.” The blog’s author, an over 40 former fashion editor, writes, “I strongly believe that you don’t have to have youth to have style.” The fashions here are elegant and sophisticated.


The Citizen Rosebud
Want to break out of your style comfort zone? If so, I highly recommend spending time with Bella's blog. Bella's style is part sweet, part edgy, but 100% her own. She's definitely inspired me to put together pieces I never ever would have thought of on my own.


The Style Confession
Heather doesn’t give her age, but if she’s over 50, she’s discovered the fountain of youth. (I'm guessing closer to 40.) Still, I find her blog and fashion sense very inspiring. Her husband is her photographer and takes really great photographs.


The Style Crone
Judith is a beautiful over 60 woman--nothing like the crone of fairy tales! She has a unique fashion sense that is a pleasure to follow.


Une femme d' un certain age
This is one of my favorite blogs. I love the topics and the many personal photographs. And the French connection is fun, appealing and even a little intriguing.